Re: [ontolog-forum] Time representation

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 11:14:08 -0600
At 3:23 PM +0200 1/23/08, Christopher Spottiswoode wrote:
Ed,

I support everything you said here (below).  But - in the light
(or darkness...) of a long-running recent discussion on this
forum - are you carefully steering clear of the word "context" on
purpose? :-)

Is this not a prime example of where contexts - and conversions
or translations or mappings (often lossy) between them - are used
by everybody with no problem?

Your rhetorical question has no answer, as you do not say what you mean by 'contexts'. But in general, to move from speaking of times (which are relatively well-understood and thoroughly investigated) to 'contexts' is a retrograde step.

 It's as in colloquially-familiar
and meaningful statements such as "The precise meaning of the
time statements is dependent on their context."

which means (literally) nothing, until one says what is meant by 'context'

Other classic aspects of context are communities' comfortable
commitments to them, the dependency - as in all the time examples
in this thread - of statements upon the proper but natural
awareness by the various parties concerned of the respective
contexts, and their easy accommodation to the frequent need for
contexts to shift as conversations or tasks or even transactions
unfold.

Bear in mind that the entire point of this whole community is to focus on ontological engineering. Now, if ontologies have anything in common, they are all intended to be used repeatedly, to be archivable for re-use, and usually transmittable from place to place on a network for re-use. Moreover, the agents doing the transmission and re-use are usually mechanical systems rather than human 'parties', and they cannot be relied upon to use human-level sophistication or awareness of such things as contexts of use. All of which means that ontologies, in notable contrast to human utterances in conversations and discussions, must be written so that their context of use is remote from, and usually unknown to, the context in which they are composed. Any contextual or indexical sensitivity which is liable to change the intended meaning, therefore, is likely to be a serious problem; and indeed this does sometimes occur, and it is indeed a serious problem. The ideal ontology framework is one in which all contextual sensitivity has been eliminated as far as possible. We know how to do this, in broad methodological outline: one imports into the ontology itself an explicit marker or markers of what would normally be considered the 'context'. In tensed terms, one does not speak of 'now', or use tenses whose meaning depends on the time of utterance, but rather puts explicit date and time markers on (or in) assertions, using a recognized and hopefully internationally ratified standard notation for indicating these times. If there is any risk of misunderstanding of the notation in a different context, one includes an explicit reference to the standard itself as part of the temporal reference, and so on. The general process is called 'decontextualizing',and in various forms it has been a hallmark of ontology engineering and indeed of KR work more generally since the beginning of the subject.

The result is often tediously pedantic and redundant to human eyes, but ontologies are not primarily intended for human eyes. For example, to refer to the number three in RDF requires this:

"3"^^http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#number

Can we really do without some formal recognition and
representation of 'context', all in a context-dependent way, of
course?

Yes, we can. Indeed, we must.

 And surely, there is no need to eschew the word!

But there is a need to define it: that is, your particular use of it. For example, your understanding of what the word means, though never specified, seems to be completely remote from John Sowa's admirably clear sense of what he means by a context.

Pat Hayes

Christopher