Re: [ontolog-forum] Time representation

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:35:29 +0700

> I know from experience that software engineers often try to build their
> artefacts to accommodate potential future changes. How to do this is an
> active area of debate.    (01)

 - we got to this point a few months back
are there patterns of change?
time is one of the factors that determines patterns of change    (02)

> If you want to argue that fruitfulness is not yet well understood - I would    (03)

> Anyway, the point I wished to make is that providing an artefact that will
> somehow support requirements that I have not yet specified is recognised as
> an important consideration by software engineers and has its counterpart
> 'fruitfulness' in science.
>    (04)

important point too - fruitfulness, or at least 'fitness for purpose'
if the fruitfulness debate is  not going to be conclusive quickly
enough    (05)

fruitfulness=value , although the criteria change, depending for who?
we live in a world where the gain of some is obtained at the expenses of others
- especially when it comes to information and knowledge.    (06)

RANT/
The important role of speculative enquiry is accepted to some extent,
but a lot of effort imho is spent on research (done with public money)
that is not useful (enough) nor applied , or  only benefits the
researchers and their private clients.
Research funded with public money should benefit the public at large,
while I have not seen
such a provision in the current policies, at least not in the
guidelines that I have seen.
disclaimer: I have not been asked to serve  for the European
Commission since I had an open disagreement with another (more senior)
research evaluator and managed to hinder (at least temporarily) the
funding a private (rather objectionable) business being disguised as
research with public EU funding.
It happens routinely.
/RANT    (07)

PDM    (08)