Re: [ontolog-forum] Formatting posts [was - Scheduling a Discussion [was

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 00:01:13 -0600
At 11:35 AM +0700 1/20/08, paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>Whats the answer to the question 'how did you do the pretty indent with a line
>or two or three according to the sequence of the snipped being quoted?    (01)

Almost any email handler which works with html
will do this, which is why the discussion so
rapidly turned into a debate about the pros and
cons of html vs. plaintext. There are actually
several kinds of such indenting. The oldest looks
like this, using &gt; as an indent character:    (02)

Pat wrote:
>Paola wrote:
>>>...What was the name of the app?
>>did anyone answer?
No.    (03)

Several mail apps do this. Eudora uses x-flowed
text, which uses a very simple html markup to
indicate nested levels, and displays them with
vertical lines at the left-hand edge to indicate
the nesting. Imitating this in plain text, its
something like this:    (04)

Pat wrote:
|Paola wrote:
|||...What was the name of the app?
||did anyone answer?
No.    (05)

though it actually looks better as the lines are continuous.    (06)

Thunderbird uses a similar display but also
changes the text color with each indenting level,
which I personally find distracting.    (07)

So there is no single answer; and as there are no
real standards in this area, there is no
guarantee that what looks good on your screen
will also look good (let alone identical) on my
screen, which is why some folk are so attached to
plain text, which for all its limitations is more
likely to be consistent between mailers and
readable by most everyone.    (08)

Pat    (09)

>that q started this thread off, and I have not seen the answer (sorry
>if I missed it)
>cheers
>PDM
>

>>   I used Eudora for many years, and I don't recall having a problem
>>  getting it to wrap message body text.
>>

>>   How did you do it?

>>  All of us have a lot of email traffic to attend to, and to set one's
>>  general preferences to plaintext-only would be suicide in the current
>>  world of general email.
>>
>>   I don't understand this. Just because someone sends you HTML messages
>>  does not require you to reply in kind.
>>
>>   Of course not, but I often (very often) wish to use html in email. I
>>  routinely embed images in email, for example.
>>

>>   The real problem is that either the defaults in MUAs such as Eudora and
>>  Outlook are extremely poorly chosen, or people deliberately configure
>>  them to produce heinous messages. If most people had even a little
>>  sense of what constitutes good typographic design, everything would be
>>  fine, but well chosen sizes, layouts and colors are the exception, not
>>  the rule. The messages on this list are not an exception, either.
>>
>>   But to go from this to banning html altogether is like saying that because
>>  there are bad drivers, cars should be illegal.
>>
>>   But let us not start an email-format flame war. After Peter's last message
>>  I'm trying out Thunderbird, maybe I'll be able to get used to it. However,
>>  AFAIKS, it has no provision for making the composing format sensitive to the
>>  particular message. If anyone can explain to me how to do it (off-list), I'd
>>  be grateful.
>>
>>   Pat
>>
>>   Pat

>--
>Paola Di Maio
>School of IT
>www.mfu.ac.th

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (011)