Re: [ontolog-forum] Formatting posts [was - Scheduling a Discussion [was

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ed Barkmeyer <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 14:53:55 -0500
I agree with Pat that the fact that some individuals lack taste is not a
reason for dispensing with HTML (or cars, or clothes).    (01)

I long ago stopped using HTML-only email tools, when HTML became a
vehicle for embedded Java, remote loads of "images" with active
providers (.asp, .php, etc.), and other "automatic virus propagation
technologies", brought to you by system dweebs who were too excited by
technology to leave well-enough alone.    (02)

NIST now operates a mail screening tool that deletes the remote image
accesses (and other Web bugs), replaces the text for hyperlinks with the
link address, and does other exciting things to "disarm" HTML messages.
  But I don't have those filters at home.    (03)

I read plain text, I have my tool convert the HTML to plain text if
there is no plain text alternative, and I send plain text to avoid
forcing others to have the same options.    (04)

I don't do this because I loved 1990 and wish to return to it.  I do
this because the Internet world of 2008 is not a safe place, thanks to a
total lack of elementary wisdom among the principal engineers.    (05)

-Ed    (06)

P.S. The current crop of exploiters are not about selling your address
book to porn spammers and Chinese retailers, or poisoning your machine
operation, or sending you to their favorite advertisers.  The current
technology searches your files for Tax Ids, and monitors your keystrokes
when you are connected to a financial site, or an online retailer's
checkout sequence.  The Internet is more dangerous in 2008 than it was
in 1998.  And active HTML, on a predictable unprotected platform, made
all this possible.    (07)

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                FAX: +1 301-975-4694    (08)

  and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."    (09)