Re: [ontolog-forum] Formatting posts [was - Scheduling a Discussion [was

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:35:20 -0800
On Jan 18, 2008 9:19 AM, Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> At 7:27 AM -0800 1/18/08, Peter Yim wrote:
> >On Jan 18, 2008 7:07 AM, John Black <JohnBlack@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>

> >>  What software does this nice html indented formating? I can't maintain it.
> >>

> >>  On Jan 18, 2008, at 8:28 AM, Chris Menzel wrote:
> >>

> >>  On Jan 17, 2008, at 10:38 PM, John Black wrote:
> >>

> >>  ...    (01)

> >[ppy]  whatever it is, would everyone kindly use plain text instead of
> >HTML, please, in their posting.
> >Repeating an earlier suggestion (ref.
> >http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2008-01/msg00195.html#nid04
> >)
> >//
> >It is recommended that you set your mail client to send & receive in
> >plain text only, and to wrap the text with line length of 65
> >characters.    (02)

> That is easier said than done. I am using Eudora, which is itself now
> somewhat ancient, but still belongs to a generation of email handlers
> which postdate Unix, and it uses flowed text conventions. It is
> impossible to wrap such text with a line length: the very concept of
> a line length does not apply, just as it does not to any text cut and
> pasted from any HTML source. Paragraphs are simply a text stream
> inside a wrapper, and line layout is done by something at the target
> end of the email transaction. In fact, line length-wrapped text
> became obsolete when the first window-oriented desktop OS was
> deployed, which actually (although this may come as a shock to the
> Linuxers amongst us) was quite a while ago now.
>
> All of us have a lot of email traffic to attend to, and to set one's
> general preferences to plaintext-only would be suicide in the current
> world of general email. And fascinating as the Forum is, I'm not
> prepared to switch my Eudora preferences back and forth every time I
> send an email, sorry.
>
> I'd suggest that the trolls allow themselves to be dragged kicking
> and screaming into the late 20th century, and use html like everyone
> else. It looks a lot better, for one thing.
>
> Pat    (03)

[ppy]  I hear what you say, but your posts actually came through
perfectly on the archives (see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2008-01/msg00284.html ).    (04)

Grant it that line length may be somewhat of a challenge (it is,
anything, if a thread goes on for dozens of exchanges ... the 65 was
there just so that within a few exchanges, the format still looks
good.)    (05)

Most of the common late 20th mail clients actually do allow that
"plain text" configuration to be specifically set for particular
recipients (even Outlook and Outlook Express have it) or even across
all addresses for particular domains (as in Thunderbird, which I use.)    (06)

This should be a one time setting ... so,  to those who are still
posting in html, please help.    (07)

Thanks & regards.  =ppy