Re: [ontolog-forum] brainwaves (WAS: to concept or not to concept, is th

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 13:42:44 +0700
Thanks John

Quantum mechanics is the foundation for all of physics.  That
means it applies to everything.

I thought so  :-)  but it was merely an intuition

 However, its effects are only
obvious for very tiny things -- such as an atom.

everything is made of atoms afaik,

 But when you
have quantum mechanical effects acting upon billions of billions
of atoms, the results can be detected with the unaided senses.

where do you suggest I start observing such effects? I'd like to start compiling a catalog
of my own unaided quantum mechanics observations

I think I ll consider taking a leap and start studying quantum maths, a whole new direction

PDM

For example, QM explains the way every chemical element combines
with other elements to form compounds.  It explains why two atoms
of hydrogen combine with one atom of oxygen to form water -- H2O.

QM also explains why H2O is stable, but H2O2 or hydrogen peroxide
is unstable.  That's why H2O2 very easily releases its extra
oxygen atom for many purposes, such as bleaching, rocket fuel,
or antiseptics that kill bacteria with the extra O.

QM also explains how transistors work, how drugs affect processes
in the human body, and how fuel burns inside an automobile engine.

All of those observable QM effects are the result of large numbers
of atoms doing the same thing.  Larger objects are also affected
by quantum mechanics, but the effects are too small to be observed.
Therefore, the older and simpler equations of Newtonian mechanics
are used because they are as accurate as needed for the problem.

John

Paola Di Maio
School of IT
www.mfu.ac.th