Re: [ontolog-forum] brainwaves (WAS: to concept or not to concept, is th

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 23:14:36 -0500
Pat,    (01)

As David Hestenes said in that article I cited, quantum mechanics
does not contradict "common sense".  It contradicts what physicists
who studied classical mechanics believe is common sense.    (02)

PH> I have been trying to understand, ie make something of, QED
 > since I first heard about the two-slit experiment when I was
 > an undergraduate.    (03)

Many people who sincerely believe that one can affect the future
by praying for some event to happen also believe the following
two principles:    (04)

  1. If event E has already occurred, but you have not yet learned
     the outcome, you can still affect the outcome by praying hard.    (05)

  2. But after you learn the outcome, you cannot change it by praying.    (06)

There are probably more people in the world who believe these points
than those who have studied classical mechanics.  Therefore, these
principles have a stronger claim to being "common sense".    (07)

And anybody who believes these principles would have no trouble at
all in understanding the outcome of the two slit experiment.    (08)

You just have to take it on faith that good electrons and photons
have guardian angels that guide them.    (09)