Re: [ontolog-forum] brainwaves (WAS: to concept or not to concept, is th

To: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 12:29:09 -0600

>I was actually thinking the other way around:
>we choose the science (method of inquiry) that
>supports our worldview so that we can claim that
>what we say is 'scientific', and refute that
>other methods of inquiry leading to different
>worldviews are scientific. But luckily I am not
>the only one who has a problem with Popper's
>falsification methods ....
>PDM
>    (01)

Apparently the point of my comment about QT has
not quite got through. There is only one actual
scientific theory of quantum theory (actually
quantum electrodynamics, aka QED). That theory is
embodied in the mathematical equations from which
the empirically validated predictions can be
derived. We are not free to pick and choose as we
like there. However, that theory does not mention
the mind-bending 'quantum paradoxes' so beloved
by the semi-popular books: things like
Schroedinger's cat, the idea of superposition of
quantum states, and the collapse of the
wave-function. These are part of something that
is not itself a theory so much as an attempt to
make intuitive sense of the actual theory with an
overarching story that can be used to help guide
intuition when trying to account for the
predictions of the theory. What is usually called
an 'interpretation' of QED. To repeat: there is
(so far) one theory of QED, but many
interpretations. The oldest one, which has found
its way into many written works, is the
Copenhagen interpretation. For many years it was
the only one, so came to be identified with QED:
but now there are others. And some of these
others do not mention state superposition and
quantum wave-function collapse. So, to return for
a second to psychology: any account of, say,
consciousness, which uses the collapse of the
wave function as part of its explanatory
apparatus (as Stapp's does) is not based on QED,
the actual science, but only on the Copenhagen
interpretation of QED, which isn't really
anything more scientific than a parable.    (02)

Pat    (03)

>On Dec 9, 2007 8:31 AM, Christopher Menzel
><<mailto:cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
>wrote:
>
>On Dec 7, 2007, at 6:59 AM,
><mailto:paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx>paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
>wrote:
>
>  >
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transactional_interpretation>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transactional_interpretation
>>
>>  In this account, there is no 'collapse', so its a hard stretch to
>>  posit that consciousness causes or results from it.
>>
>>  luckily we can all have our favourite choice of science to justify
>>  our views of the world
>
>So, let's see, we have our worldview and then we choose the science
>that fits.  Great!  I choose Young Earth Creationism.  Man, that was
>easy!
>
>-chris

>To Post:
>mailto:<mailto:ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

>--
>Paola Di Maio
>School of IT
><http://www.mfu.ac.th>www.mfu.ac.th

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (05)