Re: [ontolog-forum] Terminology Question concerning WebArchitecture and

To: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 12:33:53 -0500
>Denise,
>
>''A common world model'', or a single global ontology, is a necessary and
>sufficient condition of powerful intelligent systems.    (01)

Well, that is wrong both ways round. It is certainly not sufficient:
an ontology by itself, no matter how global or common or
all-encompassing, does not DO anything, and intelligence is only
revealed in activity of some kind. And it is not necessary, since the
only exemplars we have of intelligence are ourselves - human
intelligence - and we do not have a single common world model.    (02)

>A fundamental ontology is not a matter of choice or discussion. It is an
>essential constituent of any knowledge, human or machine-understandable, of
>any reasoning, natural or artificial, of any language, natural or formal, of
>any artefacts, physical or intelligent,    (03)

Sorry, but this is nonsense. Reasoning takes place in mathematics,
for example, without the benefit of a fundamental ontology.    (04)

Pat    (05)

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (06)