Re: [ontolog-forum] Terminology Question concerning Web Architecture and

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Patrick Durusau <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 07:35:46 -0400
Paola,    (01)

paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx wrote:    (02)

<snip>
> By contrast, the proponent os 'universal ontology does not exist' may
> refer to a 'one size fits all model' which in the light of various
> analyses, cannot exist, in the same sense that one view of reality is
> likely never to be complete/truthful

Yes.
> Soi basically from where I stand folks, the two statements that you
> are making are not
> diametrically opposed, there is a fundamental misunderstanding about
> what is being said
> that is causing it.

Very likely so.    (03)

But there is also the claim that Azamat makes that links whatever he
means by "universal ontology" to success of the Semantic Web or
artificial intelligence.    (04)

But what happens in a case where the results from using a "universal
ontology" don't agree with a clients view of the world? Telling a client
their "model" of the world is simply wrong doesn't look like a winning
strategy to me. Particularly since the "universal" model is itself
simply *a* view of the world.    (05)

Hope you are having a great weekend!    (06)

Patrick    (07)

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx