Re: [ontolog-forum] Is there a universal ontology?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jenny ure <jure2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 10:05:27 +0100
perhaps you have to take account of the fact that in collectively taking
and acting on a particular
view of the domain it is
(a) purpose specific
(b) constructrted and enacted rather than discovered -  there is a sense
in which we construct the reality we live in    (01)

To give the concrete example - after some group discussion on how to
express the difference between river and lake in a geographical ontology
for ordnance survey mapping - we realised    (02)

(a) the definition for an environmentalist, a fisherman, a geographer, a
sailor etc was purpose specific and based on purpose specific criteria,
rather than on features of the domain itself
(b) the existence of an ordnance survey application that was widely
adopted would create de facto standard for pragmatic reasons rather than
ontological ones    (03)

Jenny Ure    (04)

John F. Sowa wrote:    (05)