Re: [ontolog-forum] Terminology Question concerning Web Architecture and

To: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 15:28:04 -0500

Hmm. This sounds like what in AI is often called 'formalized common
sense'. I have been trying to construct parts of this, on and off,
for about 30 years now. Others also have done a great deal of work
along these lines, of course. For a rather more impressive attempt at
building it, see the Cyc project. Indeed, the entire idea of
formalized ontologies has its roots in this work. Nevertheless, the
idea that there is a single ontology that we all have growing in our
minds has NOT been given a great deal of support by this now quite
large body of work. On the contrary, in fact: there is a lot of
evidence, some of it quite rigorous, that people differ in their
mental ontologies. Nor is there a great deal of reason to think that
people are internally consistent.    (02)

>How large is it?
>As large as your mind might be. But note that universal ontology is
>beyond space and time.    (03)

Well, my mind, for one, is certainly NOT beyond space and time.    (04)

>What language is it written in?
>Inherently embodied in both universal languages: Natural Language
>and Mathematical Language    (05)

Those aren't languages. I meant an answer like, FOL or OWL (or
English or Latin, maybe).    (06)

>Is it somewhere on the Web?
>Not yet. To be implemented as ever growing open world Ontological
>Intelligent Web.    (07)

Again, this sounds like the grand AI problem.  Having watched the
rate of progress so far, I don't expect that it will be solved any
time soon.    (08)

Pat    (09)

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (010)