Re: [ontolog-forum] Question on "universal ontology"

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 20:59:49 +0700
Patrick
question not for me, but I see that Azamat did not give a direct answer, so I take the liberty to explore your constuct

 let me ask another question just to follow up on your line of inquiry

given a same ontology, will different types of reasoners (expert systems, or human experts)
give the same answer to a query?

I guess not - because the 'result' - if  by result we mean the same thing - does not depend on the knowledge representation alone, but on the inference patters, axioms, assumptions, belifs, configurations, goal,  and lots of other factors and functions

so I would assume, that given a 'unniversal schema of things representation' would not automatically flatten out all the other factors
the purpose of such schema would be to enable communication interchange and facilitate
access to knowledge irrespective of the configuration and the other factors

I am just thinking generically here, not necessarily answering on Azamats model behalf

cheers
PDM

On 7/23/07, Patrick Durusau <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Azamat,

Azamat wrote:
>  Patrick Durusau wrote: I am sure Azamat will formulate his own response but
> I can answer for
>  myself since I share the opinion that there is no "universal ontology."
>
> Dear Patrick,
> Let me just ensure you that there is a ''universal ontology'', '' global
> ontology'', '' master ontology'', or '' standard ontology'', as a
> comprehensive consistent world model.
> Otherwise, no Semantic Web, no artificial intelligent systems, etc.

I have a question about the use of a "universal ontology" or some
substantial part thereof.

Would all systems using the same "universal ontology" or some part
thereof, given the same inputs, reach the same results?

Hope you are at the start of a great week!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx