Re: [ontolog-forum] Taxonomies and Ontologies and n-ary relaitons

To: cassidy@xxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Nicolas F Rouquette <nicolas.rouquette@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:39:04 -0700
Patrick Cassidy wrote:    (01)

> Chris --
> Two issues here, a diversion and the original topic:
>
> (1) Diversion first: multiple-arity relations
> [chris Menzel wrote]
> > . . . For a number of reasons, not least
> > computational tractability, RDF is designed to express only binary
> > relations between individuals.  For remarkably many purposes, this
> > proves to be adequate.  However, often enough, a complete
> description of
> > a domain requires relations of higher arity, e.g., a description of the
> > spatial relations between objects on a shop floor might require the
> > BETWEEN relation, which is ternary: . . .
>
>    I think the need for multiple arity relations is generally
> underrated.  For one thing, there is approximately nothing one can say
> about instances of anything in the real world (except maybe class
> membership) that does not depend on the time at which the assertion
> was made.  That makes most assertions inherently at least ternary.  Of
> course, one can get around that by reifying a binary assertion and
> wrapping it in a holds-at-time binary relation.  I don't know if that
> will be more computationally complex, but it makes assertions
> unnecessarily obscure and moves unnecessarily far from the common
> linguistic expressions, which can be perfectly unambiguous with only
> modest restrictions on syntax and cautious permission of some lexical
> ambiguity -- providing that it can be resolved by the local context.
>    The big question is whether the perceived computational benefits of
> binary-only relations outweigh the reduced expressiveness and
> obscurity of the contortions needed to say things of realistic import
> via binary-only.  My personal opinion is that there is little benefit
> to the reduced expressivity in most cases, but it can be useful in
> come cases.   It would be really nice if someone would do a properly
> controlled experiment to evaluate such issues. Anyone know of any
> studies for realistic problems (not just computational
> complexity/tractability -- fine in itself, but not enough)?    (02)

There are important theoretical advantages to binary-only relations.
Practically, I believe it is a matter of GUI tooling to provide support
for organizing n-ary relations in terms of binary ones.    (03)

Robert Colomb's paper: Category-Theoretic Fibration as an Abstraction
Mechanism in Information Systems
http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~colomb/Abstracts.html    (04)

Michael Johnson's paper: Entity-relationship-attribute designs and sketches
http://www.tac.mta.ca/tac/volumes/10/3/10-03abs.html    (05)

-- Nicolas.    (06)