Re: [ontolog-forum] Taxonomies and Ontologies

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 15:31:24 -0700

Brian (Bo) Newman wrote:    (01)

> Jayne,
>
> While perhaps not semantically complete,  I have found it quite useful
> (in presentations to those outside of the ontological communities) by
> anchoring such discussions with; "A class hierarchy may also be called
> a taxonomy" [1] -- "taxonomies are methods for describing
> classification relationships" [2]; explaining that ontologies (formal
> or otherwise) provide additional semantic elements that allow them to
> covey more meaning that just what is provided by a taxonomy.     (02)

DN - would it be fair to extend this to also state that the ontology is
also about the relationships between the elements of a taxonomy in
addition to the hierarchal nature of their associations?  An ontology is
about more that just the elements of a taxonomy and their individual
semantics - it is about the N to N relationships that exist between
those elements??  Could one infer that Taxonomies are always scoped to
only represent hierarchal relationships between elements?  I see a lot
of people who seem to infer this but have never seen it written in black
and white.    (03)

Duane