Re: [ontolog-forum] Taxonomies and Ontologies

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:55:59 -0700
Bob:    (01)

Sure.  A hierarchal relationship has Node N, Node N -1 and Node N +1.
If you examine an API for a common tree (such as JDOM - a java API for
XML), most of the methods exposed are limited to the hierarchal data
model and traversal of nodes according to some implied first order
reference model defining the nature of hierarchal models.  Some of the
methods can see one or all lower nodes ( Element getChild(String
ElementName), getChildren (List ChildElements) ) and some can see the
upper nodes (GetParent() etc...).  In a true N to N model, you should be
able to set and get all associations, regardless of the strict
hierarchal relationships.  Accordingly, if your model has those N to N
associations, a hierarchic data model may not be a good choice to try
and express your model.    (02)

Presume an example hierarchic model where there is a high level element
A, it has two children B and C, and B has children D and E and C has
children F and G.   Using only the hierarchic model, you can infer that
they have the stereotypical hierarchic relationships (Child-parent,
association where we can also state that in addition to F and G being
"foo".  In short - any single node of the hierarchy has the ability to
declare an association to any other node OUTSIDE of the hierarchal
relationships of the model.    (03)

Accordingly, I have noted that strict hierarchal data models are not
robust enough to describe all relationships.  I have noted that many
taxonomies tend to constrain themselves to the hierarchal data model.
My question is "Is this by design?" or are the designers potentially
unaware of the constraints imposed on expressing all associations
possible in a relational model?  This is sort of a relic from the XML
and Database holy wars/discussion topics on the XML Dev List back in the
late 1990's.  It seems that ID and IDREF solved a lot of that in XML,
however many modelers continue to equate taxonomy to hierarchy.     (04)

I think that the N-Ary conversation is relevant however the
interpretation I got was that is still focused on node to node binary
associations (I am using Node rather than class here on purpose).  SUMO
does very well IMO to denote the many forms of association possible:    (05)

a &%SetOrClass if it is an instance of the &%SetOrClass and it is not an
instance of a proper subclass of &%SetOrClass.")    (06)

(=>
   (immediateInstance ?ENTITY ?CLASS)
   (not (exists (?SUBCLASS)
      (and
         (subclass ?SUBCLASS ?CLASS)
         (not (equal ?SUBCLASS ?CLASS))
         (instance ?ENTITY ?SUBCLASS)))))    (07)

(instance inverse BinaryPredicate)
(instance inverse IrreflexiveRelation)
(instance inverse IntransitiveRelation)
(instance inverse SymmetricRelation)
(domain inverse 1 BinaryRelation)
(domain inverse 2 BinaryRelation)
....<SNIP> - go look up in SUMO.    (08)

So the questions I now pose are:    (09)

1. Are all taxonomies hierachal data models?  It seems to be common, yet
I am not sure if "hierarchal" is a core property of any taxonomy.
2. Are all ontologies able to be expressed solely in hierarchies?  I
would think the answer is no but it seems that many people have a
tendency to favour this.  SUO KIF does very well IMO in being able to
move beyond hierarchic relationships and expressions.    (010)

On a related note, I have also noted that I could not find any
conventions for a class of models referred to as Concept Maps or Mind
Maps.  I am in the process of penning a paper on Concept Map conventions
which at first seemed like it would be a five minute job but now seems
to be much more involved.  If anyone is interested in that work, I can
provide a link.    (011)

Duane    (012)

Bob Smith wrote:    (013)