Re: [ontolog-forum] Taxonomies and Ontologies

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 15:27:56 -0700
My $0.02 CAD worth
(note the addition of a "contextual" qualifier of currency code to the
ages old cliche ;-)    (01)

My understanding (which is subject to argument and I do invite them if
it is errant) is that taxonomy is the simplest form of an ontology or
parts thereof.  Taxonomies are often defined as a tree structure of
categories and subcategories.    (02)

Ontologies OTOH, add more information to taxonomic structures.  This may
include the specific nature of the associations between taxonomy nodes
(categories), higher and lower level axioms and logic to both provide
context and/or further specialize the concepts and the logical
statements/axioms about those relationships and contextual qualifiers.
This is important to add in the conceptualization of a specific or
generalized domain.    (03)

While Taxonomies tend to be simple and declarative in nature, ontologies
are robust enough to allow logical conclusions (inference) to be drawn
from them.    (04)

I also espouse eating our own dog food!!  Accordingly, I wanted to see
what SUMO said about each Ontology and taxonomy:    (05)

        According to WordNet, the Noun"ontology" has 1 sense(s).    (06)

1. the metaphysical study of the nature of being and existence.    (07)

        According to WordNet, the Noun"taxonomy" has 3 sense(s).    (08)

1. a classification of organisms into groups based on similarities of
structure or origin etc.    (09)

    * SUMO Equivalents: List    (010)

<http://berkelium.teknowledge.com:8080/sigma/skb.jsp?req=skb_sr&skb=SUMO_skb&term=List>    (011)

2. (biology) study of the general principles of scientific classification.    (012)

    * SUMO Equivalents: FieldOfStudy    (013)

<http://berkelium.teknowledge.com:8080/sigma/skb.jsp?req=skb_sr&skb=SUMO_skb&term=FieldOfStudy>    (014)

3. practice of classifying plants and animals according to their
presumed natural relationships.    (015)

    * SUMO Equivalents: Classifying    (016)

<http://berkelium.teknowledge.com:8080/sigma/skb.jsp?req=skb_sr&skb=SUMO_skb&term=Classifying>    (017)

This seems to be somewhat ambiguous at the least but generally in
alignment with the posts to date.    (018)

Duane Nickull    (019)

Chris Menzel wrote:    (020)