[ontolog-forum] Taxonomies and Ontologies

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jayne E Dutra <Jayne.E.Dutra@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:55:28 -0700
Hello All,    (01)

I am re-posting this question since it seems there was some anomaly with
the ontolog server. I hope someone out there can help!    (02)

Hello All,    (03)

I am looking for material regarding the relationship between ontologies
and taxonomies. I have seen a couple of slides showing taxonomies as a low
level or foundation level layer in some presentations regarding
ontologies, but it seems to me to be given short shrift. After all, if we
are to implement the Semantic Web in a robust way, we all need to agree on
the meaning of specific terms that may be used in ontologies or else the
higher level logic becomes a lot less meaningful.    (04)

If anyone knows of papers, articles, presentations, etc, on this topic,
please let me know.    (05)

Thanks very much in advance,    (06)

Jayne    (07)

Jayne Dutra
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Information Architecture and Semantic Engineering
JPL Knowledge Management
818-354-6948