Re: [ontolog-forum] Context Ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Nicolas F Rouquette <nicolas.rouquette@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 00:01:31 -0700
I believe that the folks at the Lab. for Applied Ontology in Italy have
a pretty solid story w.r.t. defining context with their DOLCE ontology.    (01)

http://www.loa-cnr.it/DOLCE.html    (02)

The "contexts" that Duane mentions below are  "descriptions" (DOLCE)
that can be applied to a particular "situation" (DOLCE).
The smashing two rocks example is a "description" (DOLCE) in the sense
that  Duane refers to the idea of smashing rocks.
When I pick up two rocks from the ground and actually smash them, I am
talking about a "situation" (DOLCE).    (03)

Eventually, there's no silver bullet; if you really want unambiguous
context information,
it ought be spelled out in a way that is sufficiently formal and sound
to make reasoning
valuable and useful.    (04)

I have looked atht he second paper Duane mentioned. It looks to me like
a very simple version of DOLCE's concepts of descriptions & situations.    (05)

-- Nicolas.    (06)

Duane Nickull wrote:    (07)