[ontolog-forum] Context Ontology (was: Re: Semantics)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 10:41:18 -0700
Bob et al:    (01)

I see this as a requirement for a context ontology.  There are several
context facets that may constrain meaning.    (02)

Geo-spatial
Temporal
Dimensional
Gravity (perhaps a subclass of geospatial)
Atmosphere
personal point of view (assertion??)
etc.    (03)

Example 1 - a noise is produced when two rocks smash together on earth
under normal atmospheric conditions, if the same event involving the
same two instances of mineral happens in space with no gaseous
atmosphere, actual mileage may vary.    (04)

Example 2 - that wine is the best tasting.  Correct should be "person X
makes the assertion that wine is the best tasting" or "in the context of
person x's personal view...."    (05)

Example 3 - humans are mammals - in the context of 2005, this statement
is correct (exempting those of us who develop standards ;-).  In the
context of 3 trillion years ago - not true.    (06)

I found some papers on this:
Canadian Military (I'm scared to even imagine what they are up to)
http://csdl.computer.org/comp/proceedings/hicss/2004/2056/04/205640111babs.htm     (07)

Ontology based context modeling
http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~wangxia2/publications/ontology-based%20context%20modeling%20and%20reasoning%20using%20OWL.pdf
(assumes it is too complex to ever be implemented)    (08)

I think that the very mechanism explored by CCTs could be modified to
build a context ontology    (09)

Bob Smith wrote:    (010)

Senior Standards Strategist - Adobe Systems, Inc. - http://www.adobe.com
Vice Chair - UN/CEFACT Bureau Plenary - http://www.unece.org/cefact/