RE: [ontolog-forum] Re: Semantics

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Lisa <lisadawncolvin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 22:31:35 -0700 (PDT)
Good questions. Definition of ontologies should be
constructed formally (through axioms on agreed-upon
primatives) in order to maintain consistency.    (01)

However, there is always the danger of semantic shift
which you mention below. As ontologies grow and/or are
used by a more diverse group, higher-level concepts
can change and affect lower-level concepts that infer
properties or relationships from them.    (02)

One way to guard against this would be to restrict who
can author changes to the higher-level generic
concepts and relationships. Additionally, any changes
would need to be communicated to those creating more
subject-oriented  graphs off the higher-level
branches.    (03)

This could also be automated by doing some
regression-like assessment through regularly
propogating changes throughout the system. Since it's
impossible to think of all the possibilities of how a
concept can shift semantically, maybe one can only use
his/her best judgment until it breaks? comments
welcome.    (04)

:) Lisa Dawn Colvin
ontologist-at-large    (05)