Re: [uos-convene] Other Approaches Too.

To: Upper Ontology Summit convention <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bill Andersen <andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:04:34 -0500
Full agreement with Barry on his point.  Two ways to make a ULO
understandable are to try to educate users of it [hey, ontology
crowd...  who exactly are our "users" anyway?] or by hiding its
action behind good tools, wizards, etc.  Another approach, which I
believe Adam Pease advocates and is a good idea, is to build a thin
"middle layer" under the ULO and encourage the use of that.  Such a
middle layer contains terms closer to everyday experience.  This
approach warrants merit but is a big task as the job of determining
adequacy/coverage for a mid-level is arguably more difficult than
doing it for an ULO.    (01)

On Feb 27, 2006, at 15:37 , Smith, Barry wrote:    (02)

>> [Bill:] Precisely.  There has come to be an elan associated with
>> the use of logic because of the relative smaller priesthood that
>> understands it vs more traditional approaches.  But its just a
>> tool and lots of bad things get built with good tools.  This, BTW,
>> is a MAJOR engineering reason to adopt a ULO approach -- by
>> constraining the "imaginations" of domain ontologists, fewer
>> mistakes get made.  This has been our experience in every project
>> we've done.
> This is an important point -- but we will succeed in constraining
> imaginations only to the degree that the adopters understand it.
> Hence the ULO should be (or have a representation which is)
> maximally intuitively acceptable/understandable.
> Barry    (03)

Bill Andersen (andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Chief Scientist
Ontology Works, Inc. (www.ontologyworks.com)