RE: [uos-convene] Other Approaches Too.

To: "Upper Ontology Summit convention" <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cassidy, Patrick J." <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:04:15 -0500
Q: is a common upper ontology essential for semantic interoperability?    (01)

Mike Uschold thinks not, and Matthew West agrees:    (02)

[MU] > This statement is too strong, and I don't agree with it in its
current
> form:
>
>       "the use of some formally defined common upper ontology is
> essential for semantic interoperability."

[MU] > UOs can be a big help towards solving semantic interoperability,
by
> making part of the problem go away. The whole problem [pretty
> much] goes away if everyone uses the same ontology.
>      (03)

"If everyone uses the same ontology" the problem indeed goes away.    (04)

So let us focus on the question of what happens when (as we know is
happening and will continue to happen) people develop their own domain
ontologies in different locations, in uncoordinated fashion.  Two
alternatives:    (05)

Case (1): Two ontologies use the same upper ontology to provide the
basic concepts with which they specify the meanings of their domain
ontology elements (Types, relations).  Where new relations are created,
the axiomatizations also use the components from the same upper
ontology.  Once an ontology element is specified by use of components
from the upper ontology, it can be itself used as part of an extension
of the upper ontology, and ontology elements specified using such
extensions can also be considered as specified with the upper ontology.    (06)

If any two such domain ontologies want to interoperate, they share all
of the newly created domain specifications that are not in the common
upper ontology.  They also share all of the data that they intend to
reason with.  The result is in fact exactly the same ontology on both
ends.  Voila! Interoperability.    (07)

Why is this better than just mapping?  It can be viewed as a "mapping"
of a sort, using the upper ontology, but by using the upper ontology
for *creation* of the domain ontologies, as well as for the "mapping"
phase, the mappings can be precise, and can be accomplished
automatically.  There is some work needed to eliminate and merge
duplicates, e.g. to recognize when the same Type or relation, defined
separately, has a different name; that will be evident from their
specifications.  The same instances may appear with different names;
this could also happen in a single ontology - the methods used to
determine the names of instances would need to be shared.  Likewise, it
is possible that the same instances have been assigned to different
Types.  If the Types are disjoint, that would signal a logical
contradiction which would mean that one or both of the domain
ontologies are erroneous.  Using the same upper ontology does not
prevent one from creating nonsense, but it does help a lot to recognize
the problem.    (08)

There is also an issue of when a newly-created concept has some
"primitive" character, and should be in the upper ontology rather than
in a mid-level or domain ontology.  I can think of some criteria for
making such a decision, but that is not essential to the point at hand.    (09)

Case (2): Two ontologies are created using different upper ontologies,
or no upper ontology at all.  Now try to relate them.  How?  There has
been a lot of effort expended in finding ways to automatically map,
merge, align, or integrate ontologies.  Much of the work makes sense
and may be useful for limited purposes, but has no hope of creating
accurate and complete maps between independently created ontologies
because the information needed to accurately relate the ontology
elements to each other is in general not present in the individual
ontologies.  Even when present, it is only in the comments, not usable
for automated integration.  The problem of ambiguity of words used in
disparate databases also applies to terms used to label ontology
concepts, or instances.  I find it hard to visualize how a merger of
ontologies developed without a common upper ontology could begin to
approach the accuracy that can be expected from using the same basic
upper ontology elements for creating the domain ontologies. The problem
of recognizing what is intended by a logical specification for a Type
or relation disappears when the same set of basic concepts is used to
create the specification.  It is intractable when different basic
notions are used to create the specifications, as there will always be
some unexpressed components of meaning that are left out of the
fundamental ontology elements, and each independently developed
ontology will leave out different components of meaning.    (010)

===========================     (011)

So, back to the starting question:     (012)

Q: is a common upper ontology essential for semantic interoperability?    (013)

If by "semantic interoperability" we mean interoperation between
applications using ontologies developed separately (i.e., not
applications developed using the same domain ontology), I do think that
the answer is "yes".    (014)

"helpful"?????   Anything can be helpful.  I don't think that using
that wimpy word in place of "essential" will be helpful.    (015)

Pat    (016)

Patrick Cassidy
MITRE Corporation
260 Industrial Way