Re: [uos-convene] Other Approaches Too.

To: Upper Ontology Summit convention <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bill Andersen <andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 14:19:52 -0500
Leo,    (01)

At the risk of dragging this out...    (02)

On Feb 27, 2006, at 13:39 , Obrst, Leo J. wrote:    (03)

> LEO: Yes, I tried to make a rhetorically strong point by using
> 99% ;) I
> would say that data modelers start out trying to capture their local
> semantics in a conceptual model (I used this as synonymous with
> "conceptual schema" because that's my usage and most database folks).
> This is not necessarily about the real world, just their corner of it,
> with entities such as purchasingDept, payroll, VSAM storage, employee
> and employee identifier, specific Bureau of Labor reports, etc. Yes,
> these items are all in the real world, but do they involve ontological
> entities in the way we usually understand them? I think not.    (04)

That's just false, Leo.  I'd point you again to Bill Kent's "Data and
Reality" or David Hay's "Data Model Patterns: Conventions of
Thought".  These guys seem to have a much better grip on ontology in
their recommendations for data modeling than that exhibited in 99% of
the "real" ontologies I've seen written in places like    (05)

        http://www.schemaweb.info/    (06)

> They do
> try to capture the local semantics needed for the local data
> store/application.    (07)

Sometimes yes.  Sometimes no.    (08)

Bill Andersen (andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Chief Scientist