RE: [uos-convene] Other Approaches Too.

To: "Upper Ontology Summit convention" <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 11:30:43 -0500
I agree with Pat's points except would modify the following:    (01)

PAT: Of course, any two systems can be integrated by the builders
getting
together and creating a "mapping" that satisfies them both, but that is
the equivalent of creating a common upper ontology for the two systems.    (02)

I would say that you end up with an integrative ontology, not
necessarily a common upper ontology. However, the longer you continue
on the path to integrating domain ontologies, then integrating the
integrative ontologies, etc., the more you evolve to an upper ontology.    (03)

Leo    (04)

Dr. Leo Obrst       The MITRE Corporation, Information Semantics
lobrst@xxxxxxxxx    Center for Innovative Computing & Informatics
Voice: 703-983-6770 7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305
Fax: 703-983-1379   McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA     (05)