Re: [uos-convene] Other Approaches Too.

To: Upper Ontology Summit convention <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Smith, Barry" <phismith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:37:40 -0500

[Bill:] Precisely.  There has come to be an elan associated with the use of logic because of the relative smaller priesthood that understands it vs more traditional approaches.  But its just a tool and lots of bad things get built with good tools.  This, BTW, is a MAJOR engineering reason to adopt a ULO approach -- by constraining the "imaginations" of domain ontologists, fewer mistakes get made.  This has been our experience in every project we've done.
This is an important point -- but we will succeed in constraining imaginations only to the degree that the adopters understand it. Hence the ULO should be (or have a representation which is) maximally intuitively acceptable/understandable.
Barry