Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology Summit 2015 Theme

To: "'Ontology Summit 2015 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 08:35:42 -0000
Dear John,    (01)

On 11/7/2014 11:31 PM, Jack Ring wrote:
> It may be useful to note that the shift in focus is from what a system
> IS to what a system DOES.  Net-centric emphasized the happenings among
> the things.    (02)

I agree that some shift -- any shift -- away from "IS" would be useful.
The word 'ontology', by itself, just means the study of existence.
Formal ontology is just the use of formal notations and methods for doing
that study.  Unless you have some other goal, that doesn't give you much
guidance.    (03)

In addition to asking "What is it?", you can get somewhat more guidance if
you then ask "What does it do?"    (04)

But I'd also like to cite the full line from Michael G's note:
> Internet of Everything: Toward Smart Networked Systems and Societies    (05)

That subtitle helps to give a bit more guidance.  But I'd also like to ask
an embarrassing question:  In the initial analysis stage, does formal
ontology give us any more help or guidance than the old 20th-century methods
of systems analysis?
[MW>] My answer to this is quite clear: ontology is a useful tool
for/product of systems analysis. That is ontological analysis is a key tool
in understanding requirements and developing solutions, and a (more or less)
formal ontology might be a key element of the solution.    (06)

Regards    (07)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
Skype: dr.matthew.west
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
https://www.matthew-west.org.uk/
This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 8 Ennismore Close, Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire,
SG6 2SU.    (08)

There was a huge amount of work on structured systems analysis.
Some notations and methods used logic, and others were more informal.
And some informal systems, such as UML, were later formalized.    (09)

What does ontology add?    (010)