Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology Summit 2015 Theme

To: "'Ontology Summit 2015 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Anatoly Levenchuk" <ailev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2014 17:17:25 +0300
One more option is use the same distinction that in Net (TCP/IP,
information-agnostic) and Web (HTTP, hyper-text and accompanied pictures).    (01)

Neuronet working group rename itself into neuroweb when they accent that not
interested merely in transport (internet, other net) but more interested in
neuro information (e.g. neurons activity in brain) transmission over any
net. And call result (mutual communicating brains and brain particular
neuron groups, things from IoT, traditional WWW websites, intellectual
software agents, etc.) neuroweb. It means "web that build on
neurointerfaces, i.e. brain-machine interaces", not "internet build on
TCP/IP interfaces".    (02)

If we will not cover transport (TCP/IP) level, may be better we will call
our topic "web of thing", not "internet of thing".    (03)

By the way, "thing" in many ontologies means "everything" and is the root of
type hierarchy. Thus WoT for ontologists is equal to WoE ;-) Because
relations, processes etc. is also "thing" type, Jack Ring suggestion is also
answered ;-)    (04)

Best regards,
Anatoly    (05)

Then we
> can leverage perspective shift.
> Jack Ring
>
> On Nov 7, 2014, at 8:45 PM, Hans Polzer <hpolzer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Ram,
> >
> > Just want to support your position. We ran into similar issues with
> > the term Net-centric 10 years ago in the DoD context. People thought
> > that meant we believe that the network was the center or focus of
> > activity. On the contrary, the term net-centric was intended to
> > contrast with the traditional "system-centric", or
> > "organization/enterprise-centric", or even "capability-centric"
> > approach. The whole point wasn't about centering or focusing on the
> > network, but rather on the interactions that the network enabled among
> > systems, enterprises, people, and, yes, things in ways that are not
> > possible in the system or enterprise or thing-centered view of the
> > world. It's really about enabling interactions among entities across
> > system, cultural, organizational, operational/functional domain, and,
> > yes, device, boundaries. It's also important to realize that these
> > boundaries don't go away - which is a major problem with the IOT meme:
> > devices don't exist in some vacuum and just decide to interact with
> > each other over available network connections. The issue is how to
> > accomplish things by leveraging resources that may be owned/controlled
> > by some entity on the other side of some boundary. It's important to
> > respect and understand the significance of the boundary in the context
> > of why one is attempting to cross it and use that resource, while at the
same
> time discovering the availability of that resource and facilitating/easing
the
> interaction across the boundary.
> > Semantics and related business model and relationship issues are key
> > to accomplishing that goal. Pretending these issues don't exist is a
> > sure-fire way to inhibit achievement of the vision that the IOT
> > advocates proclaim, even if one confines oneself to the quite narrow
> > vision of device/sensor interoperability.
> >
> > Hans

Tel.