Re: [ontology-summit] The tools are not the problem (yet)

To: <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Krzysztof Janowicz <janowicz@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 11:21:02 -0800
I think we may be misunderstanding each other. What I was trying to say
was that the namespace should not carry any meaning of the (to be
defined) predicates. The rdf(s) namespace is just a syntactic shortcut
for an URL. In your example of is:about and is:of, is would be part of
the predicate as it would contribute to its meaning.    (01)

Best,
Krzysztof    (02)

On 01/23/2014 11:18 AM, John McClure wrote:
> OK I was not responsive to your comment - apologies. I am hearing you
> say it's not ok to have a namespace that contains present-tense
> properties vs one that has past-tense semantics. Why is that a problem?
> It seems like a completely legitimate use of namespaces to me.
>
> On 1/23/2014 11:00 AM, John McClure wrote:
>> On 1/23/2014 10:43 AM, Krzysztof Janowicz wrote:
>>> Your 'is' proposal is a good example. I am not saying that you should
>>> take your 'issues elsewhere' just that namespaces are not linguistic
>>> expressions and that this is the reason why an 'is' namespace would most
>>> likely be rejected by the community.
>> I never said lingusitic I said syntactic. Please stop changing my words.
>>
>> On 1/23/2014 9:42 AM, John McClure wrote:
>>> I am using syntactic structures to connote
>>> important semantic information.

Krzysztof Janowicz    (04)

5806 Ellison Hall, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-4060    (05)

Email: jano@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Webpage: http://geog.ucsb.edu/~jano/
Semantic Web Journal: http://www.semantic-web-journal.net    (06)