Re: [ontology-summit] The tools are not the problem (yet)

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John McClure <jmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 09:42:12 -0800
I have no confusion at all. I am using syntactic structures to connote
important semantic information.    (01)

rdfs:subPropertyOf is interesting. It contains a preposition -- of --
that we agree upon. Semantically it is a subclassing mechanism but one
specific to properties, so there's no difference between
rdfs:subPropertyOf and rdfs:subClassOf, with that exception of
*context*. Properties may only be a subclass of other properties and
Classes may only be a subclass of other classes. And really, what is a
subclass other than a subdivision?    (02)

Accordingly, it could have been rdfs:subdivisionOf -- that would
certainly be clearer to the average Joe, and it would have been
reusuable in other *contexts* -- the operative principle of *reuse*.    (03)

But instead, we get two oracular properties, one a completely *made-up*
word (subProperty), rather than community consensus about a more
abstract concept.    (04)

I'll address the generic nature of "is:of" later/jmc    (05)