Re: [ontology-summit] The tools are not the problem (yet)

To: Ontology Summit 2014 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Krzysztof Janowicz <janowicz@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 18:31:44 -0800
>> That is the reductio ad absurdum.  Google understands the requirements
>> for storage and processing of high volumes of data.  That is why they
>> use JSON instead of the XML-based notations.    (01)

Just for clarification RDF is not restricted to XML. You can also use
N3. There is also a JSON format for Linked Data called  JSON-LD.    (02)

>>> C-1 is a DesignElement    (03)

Or using N3: 'C-1 a DesignElement.'    (04)

Best,
Krzysztof    (05)

On 01/23/2014 05:55 PM, John F Sowa wrote:
> Ed,
>
> If you like that notation, the content words and syntax
> can be defined as a very simple controlled English:
>
>> PI-1 instantiates the class C-1.
>> C-1 is a DesignElement
>> C-1 has designation "P101A"
>> C-1 is a part of PS-1.
>> PS-1 is a PlantDesign ...
>> PI-1 has a required property RP-101.
>> RP-101 is a discharge-pressure
>> RP-101 is greater-or-equal to Q-101.
>> Q-101 has unit KPa
>> Q-101 has ratio 5000.
>
> But there are much better CNLs that are easier to read,
> write, and translate to logic.  For a extensive survey
> of CNLs, see http://www.tkuhn.ch/talk/larc2013cnl.pdf
>
> ACE is the CNL that Kuhn uses, but he presents a fair picture
> of many others.
>
> For a Multilingual Semantic-wiki based on ACE, see
> http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/site/pubs/papers/eswc2013_kaljurand.pdf
>
>> By comparison, in XML this could be phrased:
>>
>> <rdl:PlantDesign id="PS-1" name="Dow-A47-2013-rev2">
>>    <rdl:DesignElement id="C-1" designation="P-101A" type="Pump">
>>      <HI50.7:minimumDischargePressure unit="KPa" value="5000" />
>>    </rdl:DesignElement>
>
> That is the reductio ad absurdum.  Google understands the requirements
> for storage and processing of high volumes of data.  That is why they
> use JSON instead of the XML-based notations.
>
> For Watson, IBM used the XML-based UIMA notation.  But for complex
> reasoning, they discovered that Prolog was far superior in speed,
> flexibility, and expressive power than the native UIMA software.
>
> I agree that tools are not the problem.  The major problem is the
> XML mindset.  That turgid, bloated notation blinds people from
> seeing the underlying simplicity.
>
> John

Krzysztof Janowicz    (07)

5806 Ellison Hall, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-4060    (08)

Email: jano@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Webpage: http://geog.ucsb.edu/~jano/
Semantic Web Journal: http://www.semantic-web-journal.net    (09)