Re: [ontology-summit] The tools are not the problem (yet)

To: "'Ontology Summit 2014 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Hans Teijgeler" <hans.teijgeler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 17:02:41 +0100
Hi Ed,    (01)

Please see below.    (02)

Regards,
Hans    (03)

Hans Teijgeler,
Laanweg 28,
1871 BJ Schoorl,
Netherlands
www.mnei.nl    (04)

-----Original Message-----
From: ontology-summit-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ontology-summit-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Barkmeyer,
Edward J
Sent: vrijdag 24 januari 2014 2:17
To: Ontology Summit 2014 discussion
Subject: Re: [ontology-summit] The tools are not the problem (yet)    (05)

Hans,    (06)

Yes.  It is one of my dissertations, born of increasing dissatisfaction with
the 15926 effort.  And no, I won't fight tooth and nail.  It solves nothing.
And finally, you are right that this is probably the wrong forum.
[HT] I shudder when thinking about how bad your tooth and nail will be if
what is below is apparently seen as mild comments by you.    (07)

What I read, not so much between the lines, is that the purpose of ISO
15926, as you see it, is to define the RDF schema for a giant triple-store
of all plant lifecycle data, because someone somewhere will want to
implement that, and SPARQL will make a wonderful query language to fit his
needs.  So, this is not only about knowledge engineering; this is about
database engineering using triple stores.  (If integrating RDBs with triple
stores and SPARQL is your goal, you should look at the stuff Kingsley Idehen
is doing.)
[HT] On what would YOU base any knowledge, other than facts about all
aspects of the plant, gathered during decades? Not from LOD I hope.    (08)

What EPCs already have is a giant relational database with several smart
front-ends that actually understand and were built to support specific
aspects of plant design and construction.  What plant design software
already has is a giant hybrid database with smart interfaces for capturing
and integrating geometric design elements, and various kinds of design
views, requirements, components and sources, etc.   The large firms involved
have somewhere between 20 and 50 years' experience each in plant design and
construction, and they are on their second- or third-generation software
toolset to support those activities, and they have many
megabucks/megaeuros/gigayen invested in that software.  The problem is that
these people have different viewpoints and different schemas, and a lack of
standard exchange forms that cover more than bits and pieces of the data.
What does your would-be triple store have to offer them?
[HT] Ignoring your patronizing last sentence this: I have worked most of my
life in such a large firm, I have been in the trenches, I have designed the
first data bases for engineering and later the integration of data,
resulting in such software. And so did my colleagues from other large firms.
But we were faced by the fact that everybody was using something different
with different internal formats and geared to their (different) work
procedures. So when we were entering a joint venture for a multibillion
project we were discussing "your system or ours?" in order to be able to
communicate and to satisfy the growing requirements from the side of the
plant owners that they wanted all information in an integrated fashion. That
was why PIEBASE (UK), USPI (Netherlands) and PoscCaesar (Norway) we formed,
and later together in EPISTLE (Matthew West et al). So yes, we had our
systems, but these were, in a globalizing world, silos. And yes, until now
ISO 15926 is used for peer-to-peer application interfacing, succesfully as I
heard. And as I started this thread: Standardization is finding a balance
between large ego's, commercial politics, short-term thinking, hard-to-make
paradigm shifts, and for the most lack of funding. And I might add: the
unwillingness to really understand each other because that takes time.    (09)

The concern is:  can we develop an integrating ontology that can be used for
semantic mediation between the existing schemas, and provide a useful
exchange form based on the integrating ontology?  You can think of that
ontology as the schema for your giant triple store, if you must, but the
concern of the commercial firms is to export from their existing stores in a
standard form and import into their existing stores in a standard form.  And
it is not clear at all that a triple store schema is the best form of
integrating ontology for that purpose.
[HT] WE DON'T HAVE an "integrating ontology", other than the Part 2 data
model and the templates derived from that, where the latters are completely
data-driven and representing the smallest possible chunk of information.
What is different is that ISO 15926 calls for explicit information, where
most data bases (and documents) carry implicit information, making
shortcuts, that is understandable for the initiated only, but not for
computers. Examples galore: an attribute of a process boiler: "fluid
category", an attribute of a pressure vessel: "test fluid" and "test
pressure", an attribute of a centrifugal pump: "impeller diameter", etc,
etc.  We are working on "patterns" that will bridge the gap between implicit
and explicit information representation.    (010)

There is little motive for anyone to rewrite the kinds of power tools that
work with the existing databases so that they can work with the ultimate
integrating triple store.  The exchange form is a way station on the road
between smart information sources and smart information consumers.  Some
subset of the ontology may be populated directly to create new applications
at the 'handover' points.  That is the kind of development that firms like
ThomasNet, for example, are already engaged in (they will find you suppliers
for products that match the design specs, using some kind of inferencing
technology).  But taking another view, their work and that of their
competitors is just generating another set of incompatible schemas that work
for their particular applications, in part because their software will be
influenced by industry-specific standards for descriptions of products of
each kind (what the data they can get will look like).
[HT] You just painted the problem.    (011)

There is some synergy between your goals and those of the major firms
involved, but your triple store is not on their critical path -- the common
reference ontology is the joint concern.  The Big Data problem here is more
of a Big Ontology problem.  There are lots of specialized pieces to a
process plant.  But their critical path also involves a viable exchange
form; and a clumsy form, born of obsession with triples and upper
ontologies, will interfere with wide adoption.
[HT] Wait and see.    (012)

I would just like the crew to focus on getting clean ontologies with
industry support, stop talking about methodologies and mappings between
unimportant formalisms, and let the toolsmith gang argue about the physical
exchange form for the modeled information.
[HT] Sigh.    (013)

-Ed    (014)

--
Edward J. Barkmeyer                     Email: edbark@xxxxxxxx
National Institute of Standards & Technology Systems Integration Division

(Note:  my usual disclaimer is lacking here, because this has been discussed
at NIST and it is our position.)    (016)

dictionnary (with standard mappings).

> Finally this: the reason for chosing RDF and OWL was not reasoning or
> inferencing. No manager (in our business) in his right senses will
> accept the outcome of that as the basis for engineering. Besides, our
> world is that of the plant owners who will certainly not agree with any
"open world"
> scenario. This is his lifecycle information, and no one shall get to
> that other than on a need-to-know basis with all due secrecy agreements.
Very closed.

> So it will boil down to fairly straight forward data storage and
> retrieval in triple stores, be it with the semantic rigour and
> possibilities of ISO 15926. No fixed data model. And because of the
> mapping at the source, before storage, any data mining will be much easier
than that requiring the usual "cleansing".

> Regards,
> Hans
>
> PS Before you start fighting the above tooth-and-nail, consider
> whether this is the right forum for that. I don't know, quite honestly.

don't see RDF having a clear advantage over XML in that regard.

> The value of using an au courant software technology is that you can
> find programmers who know how to use it.  But you have to choose a
> technology that is consistent with what the user wants to do, and thus
> be aware of what the programmers are going to be asked to use it for.
> I don't see that RDF is particularly well-suited to the problem of
> plant information exchange among the major software tools used to design,
build and manage a plant.
> The idea that reasoning tools will somehow be a part of that process
> in the near future is worth investigating, but it is not what the users
need now.
> And the RDF forms being proposed may not be ideal for commercial
> inference tools in that area when they appear (which was David Price's
> point).
>
> What is most wanted from the 15926 academic efforts is a solid
> reference ontology for process plant components and their properties,
> expressed in a language that suits that purpose reasonably well, like
> OWL.  Doing that properly requires the participation of many experts
> in various component domains and a standardized approach to making OWL
> models.  It is a no- brainer to agree that 'FittingType' is a 'class
> of classes of inanimate physical object', and saying that has nearly
> no value.  The interesting coordination problem is whether the OWL
> form is a set of subclasses or a set of individuals (so that two
> working groups will produce similar structures) and whether the
> concept is the same for Pump fittings and Valve fittings (whether the two
working groups can use a common ontology module).

-----
Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
Versie: 2014.0.4259 / Virusdatabase: 3681/7027 - datum van uitgifte:
01/23/14    (019)