Re: [ontology-summit] The tools are not the problem (yet)

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 15:08:06 -0500
On 1/24/2014 5:56 PM, Barkmeyer, Edward J wrote:
> What standards-making should NOT be is academic research.  Except possibly
> in W3C, successful standards standardize something very close to what is
> currently in wide use, so that implementation is a marginal cost, and the
> return is wider market and lower cost of sale.    (01)

I very strongly agree with the first sentence.  The only phrase I would
delete from the second sentence is "Except possibly in W3C".  The most
widely used W3C standards are based on de facto standards.    (02)

Even RDF and SPARQL are not academic research -- they are rehashed
versions of network DBs from the 1970s.  When they innovated (pasted
XML on the data), their additions were detracted value.    (03)