Re: [ontology-summit] The tools are not the problem (yet)

To: Ontology Summit 2014 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Paul Tyson <phtyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 16:26:04 -0600
On Sat, 2014-01-25 at 02:04 -0500, Adrian Walker wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>

> You wrote:
>
> "Communication between computer programs is under completely different
> constraints...."
>     (01)

No, I didn't write that, McDermott did. I included it in the quote for
the contrast with the previous paragraph. His ensuing paragraph, which I
didn't quote, goes into a bit more detail about the differences.    (02)

> Agreed.  But step back a moment and look at the whole picture.  If
> people cannot understand the communications between programs, then
> errors of design or coding (or simply an unforseen circumstance) can
> quickly wreak havoc.
>     (03)

Certainly for the human interface portion of systems, but certainly not
for inter- and intra-program communication. Only software engineers must
understand the latter, and their job is not to screw it up, and they
have (or should have) tools and practices to handle the important names
they use.     (04)

One of McDermott's themes in this article was that naming things in your
program (or ontology) with "meaningful" terms from your favorite
"natural" language doesn't make them so--certainly not to the computer,
and only partially (and unpredictably) will they mean what you intend to
your human readers, as he explained in the first paragraph I quoted.    (05)

Regards,
--Paul    (06)