Re: [ontology-summit] The tools are not the problem (yet)

To: Ontology Summit 2014 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 19:42:58 +0000
John,    (01)

I don't think we are communicating.  My point was that requiring a relatively
common kind of design specification to be phrased as 10 triples instead of
three nested nodes does not make the information more accessible to anyone,
including reasoning engines.  It is a religious view of simplicity, not a
pragmatic one.  (As Doug Foxvog observed on a related thread, if you love
simplicity, you should use Turing notation.)    (02)

I have been working in the area of controlled natural languages for 5 years, I
am familiar with ACE (we started with it) and Kuhn's recent overview paper, and
I don't see how that is relevant.  You don't want to force the recipient of the
requirement to parse a CNL in order to  comprehend the requirement in his
system.  The CNL tool is a special app that reads the human-readable form and
generates a suitable structured form for interchange.  But there are lots of
tools that do some kind of structured requirements capture with much smaller
caliber guns.    (03)

-Ed    (04)