Re: [ontology-summit] The tools are not the problem (yet)

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 20:55:50 -0500
Ed,    (01)

If you like that notation, the content words and syntax
can be defined as a very simple controlled English:    (02)

> PI-1 instantiates the class C-1.
> C-1 is a DesignElement
> C-1 has designation "P101A"
> C-1 is a part of PS-1.
> PS-1 is a PlantDesign ...
> PI-1 has a required property RP-101.
> RP-101 is a discharge-pressure
> RP-101 is greater-or-equal to Q-101.
> Q-101 has unit KPa
> Q-101 has ratio 5000.    (03)

But there are much better CNLs that are easier to read,
write, and translate to logic.  For a extensive survey
of CNLs, see http://www.tkuhn.ch/talk/larc2013cnl.pdf    (04)

ACE is the CNL that Kuhn uses, but he presents a fair picture
of many others.    (05)

For a Multilingual Semantic-wiki based on ACE, see
http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/site/pubs/papers/eswc2013_kaljurand.pdf    (06)

> By comparison, in XML this could be phrased:
>
> <rdl:PlantDesign id="PS-1" name="Dow-A47-2013-rev2">
>   <rdl:DesignElement id="C-1" designation="P-101A" type="Pump">
>     <HI50.7:minimumDischargePressure unit="KPa" value="5000" />
>   </rdl:DesignElement>    (07)

That is the reductio ad absurdum.  Google understands the requirements
for storage and processing of high volumes of data.  That is why they
use JSON instead of the XML-based notations.    (08)

For Watson, IBM used the XML-based UIMA notation.  But for complex
reasoning, they discovered that Prolog was far superior in speed,
flexibility, and expressive power than the native UIMA software.    (09)

I agree that tools are not the problem.  The major problem is the
XML mindset.  That turgid, bloated notation blinds people from
seeing the underlying simplicity.    (010)