Re: [ontology-summit] The tools are not the problem (yet)

To: Ontology Summit 2014 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Paul Tyson <phtyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 16:55:10 -0600
Even though this horse has been beaten thoroughly (this time around the
track, anyway) ....    (01)

On Fri, 2014-01-24 at 07:16 -0500, John F Sowa wrote:
> Krzysztof,
>
> No declarative or procedural language in the history of computer
> science and applications has as many notations as RDF and OWL.
> That multiplicity is a symptom of a bad design.
>
> In fact, even the two designers -- Guha and Bray -- admitted that
> RDF notation was bad.  As Tim Bray said, "It's the syntax, stupid."
>
> JFS
> >> That is why they [Google] use JSON instead of the XML-based notations.
>
> KJ
> > Just for clarification, RDF is not restricted to XML. You can also use
> > N3. There is also a JSON format for Linked Data called JSON-LD.
>
> JSON, by the way, is just LISP notation with brackets and curly braces.
> LISP was, in fact, Guha's preferred notation.  And JSON was designed
> by Netscape -- where Guha and Bray were employed at the time.
>
> But many voters in the W3C were in the grip of an untested ideology:    (02)

Untested? 30+ years of experience, starting with IBM's internal use and
transitioning to an ISO standard (SGML) in widespread use for
large-scale publishing, and then universal deployment on the WWW in the
guise of HTML? What would you consider "tested"? Maybe ASCII?    (03)

> edict XML for everything.  I had been using GML at IBM since the 1970s,
> and I still use HTML for all my word processing.  (I use OpenOffice or
> LibreOffice for converting HTML to .doc or .pdf format.)
>
> But a notation that's good for word processing is a disaster for
> logic, ontologies, data storage, data transmission, human factors,
> education, and official standards.    (04)

With the exception of data storage and transmission, "word" processing
is at the heart of all those activities, so what better way to handle
your important words than with a highly evolved notation such as XML?    (05)

Regards,
--Paul    (06)