Re: [ontology-summit] Hackathon: BACnet Ontology

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "jerrylsmit@xxxxxxx" <jerrylsmit@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 07:38:38 -0400 (EDT)
All,

I recently  conducted a limited survey of the IPR (Intellectual Property Rights) policies of the leading IT standards activities (de jure, professional society, consortia, industry association SDO and SSO).

Like many similar standards bodies producing open standards, OASIS has a patent disclosure policy requiring participants to disclose any intent to apply for software patents for technologies under consideration in the standard. And like the other SDO such as W3C, which requires participants to offer royalty-free licenses to anyone using the resulting standard, OASIS offers a similar Royalty Free on Limited Terms mode, along with a Royalty Free on RAND (reasonable and non-discriminatory) Terms mode and a RAND mode for its committees.

Kindly see the attached regarding OASIS IPR.

R,

Jerry