Re: [ontology-summit] Hackathon: BACnet Ontology

To: "'Ontology Summit 2013 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 08:55:03 -0000

Dear Toby,

The old-line standards groups charge for access. Even if you get the document, the IP may have questionable provenance.

Sometimes some agencies have explicitly made some standards work public. Look to what UN-CEFACT has done with country and currency codes.

http://www.unece.org/cefact/codesfortrade/codes_index.html

They have produced XML Schemas (XSD) that are freely downloadable, freely accessible, and so have increased rather then decreased trade.

MW: This is a good example of an authoritative source publishing data in a way that all can use. This has nothing to do with the example Deborah was talking about however, which is about exchanging confidential design data between probably only a few systems within a few organizations as part of a design process.

One problem is the revenue model. Standards groups who get their revenues from specifications are not going to want to solve IP issues. If the revenue model is tied to per-page charges, you can expect wordy documents with lots of pictures.

MW: Not my experience. ISO is one such organization, but those that develop standards are not paid for their time and are aware that those that buy them pay per page, so standards tend to be shorter than perhaps more cryptic than might be useful as a result.

Sometimes groups produce where the IP  is only that “No member will sue you if you are a member”—if only they would state it so succinctly. This means that fewer review the specification, fewer comment, and the specification is often harder to work with.

MW: I’m not aware of any standards organization that works like this.

I like to work in OASIS (www.oasis-open.org) because its products are generally free to use, free to download, free to build derivative products. The IP gate is on the contribution, rather than the use. Every email, posting, and proposal is publicly visible, which cuts through a lot of delays. Building-based semantics in OASIS is hard to come by.

MW: I agree OASIS is one of the better standards organizations in terms of openness and clear business model.

Regards

Matthew West

Information  Junction

Tel: +44 1489 880185

Mobile: +44 750 3385279

Skype: dr.matthew.west

matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/

http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England and Wales No. 6632177.

Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.

tc

"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."     -- Pablo Picasso

Toby Considine

Chair, OASIS oBIX TC

Editor, OASIS EMIX, Energy Interoperation
Campus Services Information Technology
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC

Email: Toby.Considine@ unc.edu