Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology Summit 2013

To: "'miniaoui asma'" <min_asma@xxxxxxxx>, "'Ontology Summit 2013 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Hans Polzer" <hpolzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2012 19:20:49 -0500

Minyaoui,

My earlier post to this forum on this topic regarding “assessment context” and the dimensions thereof was intended to address your point. However, rather than fixating on a single definition of what we mean by “evaluation” of an ontology, the assessment context approach recognizes that there are many possible purposes for assessing an ontology, such as the list you provide. It also points out that there are other dimensions of assessment context, such as life-cycle phase at which the assessment is performed, and enterprise or domain context. All of these potentially affect what assessment criteria might be appropriate to use. Of course, we can further narrow the assessment context ranges we are willing to consider for our focus. But we can then point out that the criteria and methods we develop/document have limited scope and advertise explicitly that these assessment criteria might not apply to assessment context ranges that are outside our selected assessment context scope.

This approach also helps to move the suggestion of specifying the requirements for an ontology from one of a “point” source towards an approach that involves specifying a range of requirements. Point sources of requirements generally make is unlikely that an ontology will find wide usage, especially in a multi-enterprise, multi-national, multi-domain networked environment. It’s certainly OK to develop ontologies for single customer contexts, but it’s generally difficult to justify the expense of doing so (unless the single customer context involves an investment that dwarfs the cost of ontology development and the benefits of having such an ontology reduces the investment required by more than the cost of ontology development). The challenge then becomes deciding how much (and along what domain dimensions) to broaden the scope of the ontology and its related application contexts and still make it economical to develop. This is fundamentally a business model problem, and I include individual volunteer and community development approaches as special cases of business model (such as this forum).

Hans