Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology Summit 2013

To: Ontology Summit 2013 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Gary Berg-Cross <gbergcross@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 17:45:11 -0500
Dear Matthew,

We may be using terms for what I called internal properties of ontologies, like consistency  & expressivity, a bit loosely and perhaps mean the same or related ideas.  Examples might help or reference to earlier authoritative discussions on this topic. Perhaps the 2012 ontology summit might have some material on this from - Towards Objective Metrics for Understanding Ontology Quality in Context (AmandaVizedom and JoanneLuciano. Amanda thus might want to comment further.

But I did want to follow up on one of your "defintional" suggestion:

MW: By definition concepts only have one meaning, but there might be multiple terms for them, which is what I presume you mean here, so this is consistency again.

I wonder if this is clearly the case. I might take a concept like path and make the concept of sub-type of alternative concepts.  Thus you might find that
Path is a Feature, feature is a spatialThing, spatialThing is a Thing….OR

Path is a spatialFeature, spatialFeature is a PhysicalObject, (DOLCE)
OR

Path is a Feature, Feature is a SpatialObject, SpatialObject is either a
Feature or a Geometry (as in the GeoSPARQL model)

Gary Berg-Cross, Ph.D.
NSF INTEROP Project
SOCoP Executive Secretary
Knowledge Strategies