Re: [ontology-summit] [BigSystemsandSystemsEngineering]Systemofsystems

To: Ontology Summit 2012 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Cory Casanave <cory-c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 14:22:28 -0500

Jack,

With the scale and lose control of federations I can’t imagine 2 “configurations” responding to the same “stimulus”, so I guess this doesn’t bother me.  Do we have 2 global telephone federations that would respond in the “same way”?

As for “distinct systems”, systems of systems are also overlapping and rarely would have all parts involved in any stimulus, so I guess that doesn’t both me either.   Again with the telephone analogy, if I call from DC to London am I concerned that Tokyo is not involved?

In fact many of the stimulus in a federation are from other federates so the stimulus response paradigm may not hold well.  A SOS is more of a collaboration.

Perhaps these are either indications that I am overly relaxed today or that there are some unique characteristics to this SOS thing.

-Cory