Re: [ontology-summit] [BigSystemsandSystemsEngineering]Systemofsystems

To: "Ontology Summit 2012 discussion" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 10:04:32 -0500
On Sat, February 11, 2012 14:00 "Matthew K. Hettinger"
<mkhettinger@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> doug foxvog wrote:    (01)

> DF:"I distinguish "Purpose" with an intent, while restricting "Function"
> to capabilities."    (02)

> So, the purpose of a system is *not* what is does (or can do). Yes?    (03)

Not according to the definition i use, no.    (04)

> I happen to agree with this, however, some explicitly define the purpose of
> a system by what it does.    (05)

Such a definition grants "purpose" to a natural system.   It also suggests
(to those to whom "purpose" suggests intent) that the designers of a
flawed system intended all the flaws.  This seems like rhetorical jujitsu
not useful for dispassionate analysis.    (06)

The word "purpose" comes from the French "purposer", meaning "to
intend."  Most definitions of "purpose" rely on goal and/or intent:    (07)

  the reason for which something is done or created or for which
  something exists --  OED    (08)

  something set up as an object or end to be attained : intention
   -- Miriam Webster    (09)

  The object toward which one strives or for which something exists;
  an aim or a goal -- American Heritage def. 1    (010)

  A result or effect that is intended or desired; an intention.
  See Synonyms at intention. -- American Heritage def. 2    (011)

It seems necessary, imho, to model such a concept when modeling systems.
Attaching the label "purpose" to such an ontological concept certainly could
be justified.    (012)

> If the above is true then I'm not sure what you mean by "...... then the
> question of "Purpose" need not be asked." Because as I see, the question
> of intent is very important. Did I miss something?    (013)

I was referring to functions of natural systems, specifically body parts.
One need not discuss intent -- implying the existence of an intender --
when analyzing the functions of anatomical parts.    (014)

Certainly intent is important in artificial systems.    (015)

> Intent may be associated with probabilities and expectations, just like
> roles, IMHO. So there is a probability that a system will satisfy intent
> and fulfill its purpose, by the actions it takes, by what it does (by, in
> part, fulfilling its' role). In this way, the concepts of purpose and role
> can be related.    (016)

I agree.    (017)

> I like to make a further distinction with respect to
> "function"/"capability". There are those "functions", "behaviors",
> "capabilities" within a system boundary, and those external to that same
> system boundary. In general the term 'capability' may refer to external
> "functions", operations on the environment. That is, the term is used from
> a given perspective. In a SoS, what is internal and what is external is
> relative.    (018)

These are good distinctions.  I am less concerned about the names of the
concepts than in carefully defining useful distinctions.    (019)

Artificial systems and their components have purposes -- (classes of) things
that they should be able to do.  They have behaviours -- patterns of actions
that may either be designed or emergent -- that they perform in carrying
out their purposes.    (020)

Distinguishing internal functions and purposes from external ones is also
useful.  I would define "capability" to include (types of) things that
something can be used for beyond the original intent.  For example,
many physical artifacts have the the capability of serving as doorstops
and/or paperweights, but that should not (imho) be defined as part of
their "purpose" (from their design) or their intrinsic "function".    (021)

> It looks like I'm getting digests, I'll have to change my settings to make
> my contributions more timely.
>

> Matthew K. Hettinger, Enterprise Architect and Systemist
> Mathet Consulting, Inc.    (022)

-- doug foxvog    (023)

Removing pages of context: