Re: [ontology-summit] Evolutionary purpose or function

To: Ontology Summit 2012 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mike Bennett <mbennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 18:11:34 +0000
That is to say, my interest lies not in the answers to these
questions, but in their existence.    (01)

Mike    (02)

On 11/02/2012 17:57, John F. Sowa wrote:
> Mike and Doug,
>
> This is another discussion with broad implications.  I'm moving it
> to Ontolog Forum.
>
> MB
>>> That raises some deep philosophical questions for emergent,
>>> natural systems. Do these have a "Purpose"? If you believe in a
>>> Creator as described in most Feudal-era belief systems, that
>>> Creator created natural things with a purpose, but if you don't,
>>> you don't. Clearly there are people on both sides of that divide.
> DF
>> If we distinguish "Purpose" from "Function", then the question of
>> "Purpose" need not be asked.  I distinguish "Purpose" with an intent,
>> while restricting "Function" to capabilities.
> To analyze this distinction, it helps to analyze the early and later
> stages from two points of view:  looking forward from the past and
> looking backward from the present.
>
>   From an analysis of their bones and DNA, biologists believe that
> whales, pigs, and hippopotamus are related.  But there are fine
> points that have to be resolved.  See, for example,
>
>      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090318153803.htm
>      Is The Hippopotamus The Closest Living Relative To The Whale?
>
> Suppose you were an ancient hippo family that was trying to decide
> which way to evolve:  spend more time in the river, which requires
> frequent forays onto the land, or move out to sea, which requires
> methods of swimming and breathing better adapted to water.
>
> Some kids in the family might be more adventurous.  They would
> venture out into the open water.  They would choose a blowhole on
> top of the head and flippers instead of legs.  That is the view
> looking forward from the past, which seems to require purpose.
>
> But other kids would prefer to stay in the family river, and they
> would choose dual-purpose legs that could be used in or out of the
> water.  For protection from crocodiles in the water and lions on
> the land, they would also choose to grow bigger so that they could
> overpower anything that might want to eat them.
>
>   From the view backwards from the present, a biologist would realize
> that changes in the anatomy require many generations and long periods
> of time.  They cannot be caused by a conscious decision of a single
> animal.  But they can be caused by small decisions of many generations
> of individuals to seek food close to shore or venture out into open
> water.  The individual choices are rewarded or punished by being fed
> or by dying of starvation or being eaten.
>
> MB
>> Given that Cyc has the capability of asserting functions with
>> or without intent, how does one ensure that modelers of new
>> material do not bring their inbuilt (and perhaps unquestioned /
>> unstated) philosophical issues along for the ride?
> Look at evolution:  choices can be guided by an engineer (i.e.,
> an "intelligent designer" such as a human or a god) who makes
> [...]

Mike Bennett
Director
Hypercube Ltd.
89 Worship Street
London EC2A 2BF
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7917 9522
Mob: +44 (0) 7721 420 730
www.hypercube.co.uk
Registered in England and Wales No. 2461068    (04)