Re: [ontology-summit] [Making the Case] Barriers to adoptionof ontologie

To: "Ontology Summit 2011 discussion" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "AzamatAbdoullaev" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 21:42:20 +0200
On Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:32 PM, Peter wrote:
"Over many years, I have found ontology to be viewed as a nice-to-have by
most project managers but not as an essential building block for a project,
even though ontology could make practical contributions to -- at the very
least -- the formulation of a project's requirements.  This common viewpoint
is itself a barrier."
As i mentioned before, the confusion starts from misunderstanding of
ontology, its nature and scope and application. One of the specialties is
that it is deeply involved with the top-down or bottom-up strategies of
building a complete top-level system.
Project Management Plan, Work Breakdown Structure, Product Breakdown
Structure, Project Networks, Project Management Methodologies (event chain,
critical path,... ), Change Management Systems, etc., are about Management
Ontology.
That somebody doesn't use the Big Word changes nothing here, for he/she
fully applies its armory, concepts, mechanisms, even if not clearly
recognizing it.
For instance, such the critical project management tools as  the WBS or PBS
are nothing but the whole-part relationships, a hierarchical tree structure
of deliverables (goals and objectives, products, services, actions, or data;
physical, functional or conceptual) making up the project. And the entire
top-down classification is constrained by the MECE (mutually exclusive,
collectively exhaustive) ontological rules.
Again, project management software, like MSP/WinProj for workloads, plans,
resources, budgets, schedule, and activities dependencies visualized as a
Gantt chart representing a project WBS, is largely the management ontology
applications.    (01)

Azamat Abdoullaev    (02)

A NASA WBS
> Over many years, I have found ontology to be viewed as a nice-to-have by
> most project managers but not as an essential building block for a
> project, even though ontology could make practical contributions to -- at
> the very least -- the formulation of a project's requirements.  This
> common viewpoint is itself a barrier.
>
> Regards,
> Peter
> Peter Eirich