Re: [ontology-summit] [Making the Case] Barriers to adoption of ontologi

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jack Ring <jring7@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 14:19:54 -0700
John Sowa says it very well, as usual.     (01)

However, I suggest that the third thing we need to sell is the use of a
standardized *terminology* for the enterprise.    (02)

The first thing they want to hear is how they can gain better knowledge
exchange and choice making throughout their extended enterprise.    (03)

The second thing they want to hear is how they can ascend from coordination to
cooperation to collaboration to co-learning to co-evolving.    (04)

Once they believe there is a way to do this and one that is not potentially
'career limiting' (high risk) then they will fund a pilot project to demo those
two achievements.     (05)

The demo will entail standardizing both terminology and "the way we do things
around here" also called culture but they don't need to be concerned about
that. The fact that you are going to discover one facet of their ontology and
install a knowledge exchange transformer need not take up a lot of their
mind-share. Once they are experiencing the joy of it all you can tell them how
of evolve the capability to other facets of their enterprise.    (06)

When I get time I will share a 10-facet model of an intelligent enterprise and
a ten-C's model of the ascent of human synergy in an organization. These may
help figure out the locus of the first demo in any given enterprise.    (07)

I do not have an opinion about Owl other than noting that its users come
disturbingly close to generating the old-time, dreaded spaghetti code.    (08)

Onward,
Jack Ring    (09)