Re: [ontology-summit] [Making the Case] Elevator Pitch

To: "'Ontology Summit 2011 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Ian Bailey" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 21:02:21 -0000
Hi All,    (01)

How honest does this pitch have to be ?  Is it a salesman's pitch ? Can we
assume the boss has ever seen an ontology ?  If he/she *has* ever seen one,
then words such as "smaller" and "more manageable" aren't going to wash. Is Cyc
small and manageable ?  Sumo's pretty big too, and it's only supposed to be an
upper ontology. I haven't seen many small ontologies - at least not ones that
claimed to be any use. I think the "manageable" bit is going to be hard to
defend as well.    (02)

I think it's a good pitch, but it's a whopper of a lie. No harm in that -
history tells us that those are the sales pitches that have worked in IT for
every new technology - "Use SOA, it'll get rid of your stovepipes", "Go
open-source, you don't need to buy any software !", "Go cloud computing, you
don't need to buy any software or hardware", "Artificial intelligence,
er...no...no...give me a minute...er...", etc.    (03)

Isn't it more honest to say "The real world is complex and changing, you need a
solution that can cope with that complexity and adapt with the changes. That's
what ontology does for you". That way we're making no pretence that it's simple
or small, 'cos it isn't. And what's more, any solution that is simple or small
isn't going to solve any big problems in information management, IMHO.    (04)

Ian    (05)