Re: [ontology-summit] [Making the Case] Elevator Pitch

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 14:02:46 -0500
On 2/2/2011 1:55 PM, MacPherson, Deborah wrote:
> Change:
> The number of laws and legal concepts is relatively small and discrete.
> The complexity comes from the world.
>
> To - something like:
> Even if the number of concepts and rules in an ontology is relatively small
>and discrete,
> The purpose of ontological engineering is to manage complexity that comes
>from the world.    (01)

That's not what I meant.    (02)

I wasn't claiming that a small ontology can manage a huge complexity.    (03)

I was just saying that we don't yet have methods that are capable of
managing that huge complexity, and that an ontology, by itself, won't
help very much.    (04)

The really difficult problems are in reasoning and language
understanding.  An ontology can probably help, but we need
to go far beyond the currently available tools.    (05)