Re: [ontology-summit] [Making the Case] Elevator Pitch

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 09:08:22 -0500
On 2/2/2011 3:07 AM, Anders Tell wrote:
> One is that many law, regulations, treaties, etc was written before
> the age of computers so they are difficult to encode.
> References may point to "page13, paragraph 2" and not cleanly
> to "sections 4, paragraph 8".    (01)

Compared to the problems of understanding language, that detail
is *totally insignificant*.  It is such a teeny, tiny nit that
it isn't even a speed bump on the information highway.    (02)

Lawyers have been using computers for many, many years to keep
track of all the laws and court cases that involve them.    (03)

For starters, look at the Lexus Nexis company, which was founded
in 1977, and has over 30 terabytes of legal content.    (04)

There are also huge databases of free documents published by
the US government (the world's largest publisher).    (05)

Language *understanding* is the primary bottleneck.  Linking
and indexing stuff is useful, but it won't scratch the surface
of the problems until we can do a reasonable amount of
language understanding -- and I believe that we will be
able to do that within this decade.  (Not total understanding,
but a reasonable amount.)    (06)