Re: [ontology-summit] [Making the Case] Elevator Pitch

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 10:07:36 -0500
On 31/01/2011 1:04 AM, John F. Sowa wrote:
> Dear Matthew and Ron,
>
> MW
>> So most of the
>> ontological work that is done in major companies and government
>> organizations is in what is widely referred to as Master Data Management.
>> For practical purposes this is the set of terms used across an enterprise's
>> systems, whether they are SAP or Oracle HR, or home grown Payroll systems.
> On that topic, we are in complete agreement.  But note that this
> is usually called *terminology*.  If I had a choice between a well
> designed terminology that had been in widespread use in an industry
> and somebody's exercise in using some ontology language, there is
> no question what I would prefer -- give me the terminology!
>
> RW
>> I think that as time goes on, there will ontologies that come with
>> applications or come as part of standards or government reporting
>> specifications.
> I agree.  But at the current stage of development, I have more
> faith in the terminologies than in most ontologies I've seen.

Until there are production quality tools and a production quality
framework that allows a developer to build applications faster and more
reliably using ontologies, I just don't see how ontology gets out of the
academic world.
It is a nice way to unambiguously describe a section of the universe
(provided you don't try to bring it here for validation:-) ) but how
much value does it have, if I have to translate the whole thing back
into a schema or data dictionary or set of Hibernate configuration files
and UML models to actually build something.    (01)

I think that I am looking for a framework that lets me specify a lattice
of ontologies with their interfaces and a description of the SOA in
terms of inputs and desired flows and outputs and have the engine make
it fly.    (02)

My time would be spent defining the local ontology (what is a "received
invoice" and what is an "approved invoice" and what is a "paid invoice"
or "partially paid" in our company) and validating that the rest of the
lattice's components from external sources match or can be interfaced.    (03)

  Ron